I Went to a Virtual Career Fair – Now What?
May 22, 2012
Just as in a real world career fair, follow up is a must if you want to give a lasting impression and land the job!
Consider these “next steps” following an online career fair.
- Take the time to make contact with recruiters you connected with during the fair. Write thank you emails to all the recruiters you spoke to. Send them within a few days; however, write a separate email to each company. Do not send out a common generic email – it never works.
- Try to incorporate the online conversation you had with the employer. Use this opportunity to thank them for their time, ask additional questions, and express your continued interest.
- If you were instructed to register at the company’s job site, do so. Follow all instructions provided by recruiters.
- Use the career fair’s system to track your applications and review company materials, even after the fair closes.
- Develop a system that works for you to stay organized and track all of your job search efforts and connections.
Assess both the event and your efforts at the event. Where can you improve your strategies for the next virtual career fair? Were the employers the right ones for the job you’re looking for?
Don’t waste the opportunities you gained by attending the fair. Taking action afterward is as important as the preparation you made to attend the fair.
By Luz Barboza
Luz is currently exploring the California central coast. She enjoys reading, spending time with family, taking pictures, and has recently signed up for her first Triathlon.